Trying to remind myself how to insert photos into the blog. It took a minute, but got there in the end
The map is curtsey of Google and is an initial draft. Having looked at the mileage and time to drive the route, we made a few edits from what i first intended to do. We have currently cut out Rumania and Hungary. The shame of this is that I cant see an opertunity to visit these great countries again, I hope my next road trip will be to Africa, Hungary and Rumania are not on that route.
Anyway, If either of our readers has any comment on the route and pictured, any suggestions of things to see and do on the way, please let us know. firstname.lastname@example.org
Update on the car, more spares arrived today so i can now fix the brake lights, the fan switch and i have also bought a new pollen filter. I hope i can get them fitted tomorrow. Happy days. Simon
This morning the new windscreen pump and tube arrived, I couldn’t wait to fit it, all my Christmas’s had arrived at once, pump and hose. Anyway, suffice to say it was fitted an unhealthy dose of enthusiasm and it worked, The front windscreen washer is now functional, and the pump has a real kick to it.
The pump works for both the front and rear screens, it rotates in one direction for the front screen and reverse for the rear screen. While the pump seems to be working OK, the rear washer is not working. This is no big shakes, I can’t see out of the back window anyway because of the exhaust smoke!
Now waiting for the radiator fan switch to arrive.
Ace, set up as a new blogger and raring to go. First meeting of the Professional Amateur Adventurers Astratastic association has convened and successfully concluded with a rough route map. Will try and post a copy for anyone who is interested.
The speedo cable is now fitted, i assume it works, I will test it tomorrow. I am looking forward to having it working again, its been about two moths since it packed up. When i am driving to work, I look forward to the clock going over another thousand miles, (about every two and a half weeks) these are mile stones on the way to the quarter million miles.
Rebecca (Daughter) bout me one of them there thermos mugs for Christmas. I will now be able to have a brew on the way to work. I have been wanting one of them for a while.
Here is an update on the fix list.
- the speedo should now be OK
- I have ordered a new switch for the brake lights, Bit dodgy to take the old girl out any distance until it is fitted.
- I have oil ready to top up the power steering, but i want to check the hose is secure before i do this.
- i have ordered a new pump for the windscreen washer and some pipes, the pump was about shagged and one of the pipes was leaking, which was the main reason for the washer not working.
- I have ordered a new fan switch for the radiator fan. That will keep the temperature in order when driving in hot countries like Albania Greece and Turkey (can’t wait)
- The fan on the heater is still an issue, i have emailed a chap out getting the resistor pack fixed as i cant find a replacement part on the net.
Having a meeting with Nick tomorrow to discus the plans.
Nikola Tesla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current electrical supply system. Nikola Tesla was born on 10 July (O.S. 28 June) 1856 to Serb parents in the village of Smiljan, now in modern day Croatia. It is our intention to pay hommage to his work by visiting his birth place on our road trip. This follows the tradition set in the two earlier road trips to Jon-O-Groats in 2010 and the Arctic circle in 2011. www.montybedfords.wordpress.com
The plan to get the old girl into some sort of shape moved on a bit today (boxing day). I have established that the heater fane resistor pack has blown, but i can not find a replacement as yet. I have ordered a new windscreen washer pump and a radiator fan switch. Since the trip to the garage, the water pump is not leaking, the thermostat is working, the fan belt it tight and not longer squeals in pain every time the battery demands mor charge.
The brake lights have a problem, I must get this sorted soon.
Spoke with my co driver Nick, he will soon be adding to this blog and with his familiarity of all things computer, i guess we will get a few more hits…. Result
Next I need to fix the speedo or she will never get to quarter of a million mile on the clock.
I took the plunge, took Astra to the garage. I have had a new water pump fitted, new thermostat, fan belt tightened and a shed load of work done on the brakes, It was ace driving home, the fan belt was quiet, the brakes worked, the hand brake worked. It’s just like a brand new car, well its got the same number wheels but with out the baggage of depreciating residuals. Thanks to Sean Palin at Abacus Motors
Over Christmas I aim to fix the heater fan and the windscreen washer, probably have a look at the rest of the list too. If can find a spade, I might clean out the boot, might make it smell a little less organic!
About the route, We aim to leave Montgomery on Wednesday 27th March, probably leave around tea time. We will be spending the first night in France, , day two we will head for the north-east corner of Italy before following the Adriatic sea south through the Baltic states. More on the route in a later episode, and i will add some details on the events on the way, and we have some crackin ideas of places to visit as long as the old girl keeps going.
After a crap day at work (for no particular reason, i love my work and the team at T.I.Automotive) writing this note and thinking of things we are going to do, raises my spirits, which reminds me, time for a scotch, Glen Morray me thinks.
It now less than 3 months till we leave and the car is showong some signs of old age, how ever that is not putting me off. Here is my list of concerns
- The fan to cool the engine is not working.
- The engine thermostat is not working
- The first two speeds of the three speed fan to heat the car are not working.
- The water pump is leaking.
- The fan belt is slipping so not charging the batery properly
- The drivers door window does not open.
- the pasengers door does not close properly.
- The bonnet does not shut properly.
- The engine heater control that helps start the car in cold weather has packed up.
- The front tyres keep going down,
- The power steering makes a noise on full lock.
- The back near side door does not open.
- The brakes are pulling to one side
- The steering is pulling to the other side,
- The rear window heater is rubbish
- The hand brake works fine unless you are on a hill
- The car no longer has the power to overtake, not even tractors.
Not to worry, it still does alomost 60 MPG (recorder 59.8 a month ago before the speedo packed up) and it has not depreciated in value for the last ted years, economy motoring!
I have a plan to fix the fan, I believe it may be a thermal fuse on the speed control resistor pack that has blown. Where did i put my screw driver?