Thursday, Wow, what a day, well over 800 miles from the hotel to or lodgings in Sloveinia. A long day, this s how it went.
Given we didnt get to bed till at least three am, we had to have a bit of a lie in, got up at around eight, I boiled the ketlel and we had a brew once we wereon the road, with the now ubiquetus cake to fortifie our drink. The hotel was cheep but functional and ideal for or neads. the TV didnt work but was very hand as a coat hanger, I think we paid £33 for the two of us in a triple room, cant be faulted. We set off for the alps.
Reimes is a hell of a long way from Slovienia, no matter which way you go, but chuck in a massive snow covered mountain range, precipitation on a biblical scale and a car that want to boil over on every hill, It becomes an almost imposible journey. Before we set out, the commpuotr said 814 miles, then the computor said NO, astra seemed to setel down on her haunches with the thought of such a reiculas amount of mile in one day, the weather was to have it influece. Having set off and keen to make progress, we emediatly got lost, Sall had tried to send us the wrong way but we soon spotted it and re-routed. We put Sally in a bag and left her to sulk for a while.
It was toll road for a lot of the way to geneva, after filling up with diesel we made reasonable progress but a soon as we hit Switzerland it started to rain, It rained or snowed for the rest of the day, We could not really see much beyond the road, it was a bit disapointing.
On dropping down to lake geneva, we picked up a couple of hitch hikers, they we hitching from Beiritz on teh French Atlatic coast to a place in the East part of Switzerland. they had been on some sort of Christan convention and had to find there way home with out any money, all they had to eat was a big bag of gummy bears,MMmmm tasty! Wedid ntend sorting them out with a bit of Helens Cake but somhow couldent as they had to jump out in a bit of a rush at a junction. they did give us some help in getting out euro Vinyet sorted out, a sort of permit to drive in Switzerland and i think ausrtia, must check that. Anyway, it saved us getting a 300 euro fine. We had got into Switzerland with out any trouble, didnt show our pass ports, just drove in. Nice.
After dropping off our new Swiss and Newzealand freinds, we set off to Saint Bernards pass. I was deluded enough to believe we would be able to drive over it. The higher up the alps we climbed, the worse the waeter got until it turned into heavey snow at arounfd 600meters.  And i mean heavey, but the road was well salted and kept clear. At the top we had the option to go over the pass or through teh tunnel, I made a snap decision, if no one elase had been over ther since last July, i wasnt going to be the first, we saw the start of the pass and there was not chance of Astra making it over. So the tunel it was, I was lookng forward to getting out of Switzerland, didnt fill me with enthusiasm as a coutry.
The customes were at the entrace to the saint bernard Tunnel, again, no passpor check, just waved us through. It was a good tunnel, not sure how long but more than 5km. It was good to get outof the snow for a bit, but we were in for a shock at the other side,
As we aproched the end of the tunnel, it turns into a sort of covered road, i guess to stop avalanches fallin into the carrageway, We cam across what seemed to be a brockendown snow plough, we passed it and drove on only to realise that the road in front of us and all the way down to foot of the alps was largley untreated. the road was covere in compressed snaow and ice, we were in a line trafic, the chance of a bump were high. I backed right off the car in front and tried not to brake too much, to seemed to take for ever to get down, we had a few hairy moments, we got away with it. Vidoes should paint a good picture if we can upload them.
The rest of the journey as a nightmare, it pured down all the way, and we had 400 miles from the alps to Slovienia. Nick did most of the driving, I was not as quick as him.
We arrived at Julias House at around 1AM and chose to let sally sleep in the car, she had disgraced her self. We had a couple of beers and went to bed.

We had had a good day, covered a lot of miles and it should secure an easier route for the rest of the week.

The car, it keeps over heating, we found that the fan is not switching on, the work around is to switch on the heating in the car and open the windows, then stop for a bit if it is really hot. Thought i head a ratteling from the injector pump, but couldnt trace anything. Found a loos pipe under the bonnet, it may have been that, so i puled it off ant threw it away, the rattle semmed to stop.

Leave a Reply